Looking for healthy? What could be healthier than a bowl full of vegetables? Use the cayenne and Tabasco to make it as spicy as you like. Serve with Italian bread and extra sharp cheddar. For wine, serve a Syrah. Or a Mexican beer would also go great.
2 hardboiled eggs
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
Salt, to taste
2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 7 cups fresh diced tomatoes
1 red pepper, chopped
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
1 1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
4 cups vegetable broth
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup fresh minced parsely
1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
4 Tbs. Worcestershire
Ground pepper, to taste
2 tsp. cayenne, more/less to taste
Tabasco, to taste
- Mince garlic into bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Add hardboiled eggs and mash together with fork.
- In a large pot or bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, broth, vinegar, parsley, cilantro, Worcestershire, pepper, cayenne, and Tabasco. Stir until well blended.
- Add garlic/egg mixture and stir to mix.
- Refrigerate to chill, at least 3 hours (if you'd like to eat it sooner, after 2 hours scoop some into bowls and place in freezer for 20 minutes).
- The egg/garlic mixture provides a great garlic-infused paste.
- I chop the vegetables into bite-sized chunks. If you prefer a smoother texture, pass through a food processor or blender.