1 whole chicken (6-8 lbs.)
Sea salt and freshly-ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove giblets from chicken and discard or reserve for another use. Remove and discard any lumps of fat. Rinse chicken inside and out. Pat dry.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the thickest part of the breast to bone reaches 170 degrees F, about 1 1/4- 1 3/4 hour. (If drippings smoke, skim and discard fat, and add 1/4 cup of water.)
- Carve and place on platter. Serve with potato patties (below).
6 medium red-skinned potatoes
1/3 cup 1% milk
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
Sea salt and freshly-grounded pepper
1/4 cup safflower oil
- Boil the potatoes in salted boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Mash potatoes in the same pan. Add milk.
- Add shallots, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir until fully mixed. Form potatoes into patties (approximately 3" in diameter and 1/4" thick). Set aside.
- Warm safflower oil in large stainless steel pan over medium/medium-high heat ("6" on a 1-10 heat scale).
- Once oil reaches full temperature, fry patties in batches until brown and crisp (about 8 minutes per side). Pat them with a clean kitchen linen to soak up extra oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve with roasted chicken (above).